If you wish to republish an Essay or Idea from Aeon you may do so only under the following conditions:
- Ideas may be freely republished using the Creative Commons ‘Republish’ button on the Ideas page
- Essays may only be republished by prior arrangement with us, under strict conditions (see below)
- Images (photographs and illustrations) may not be reused
YOU MAY REPUBLISH ‘IDEAS’ UNDER A CREATIVE COMMONS LICENCE
Aeon Ideas are published under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives licence (CC BY-ND). You may republish Ideas on any website or in print however:
- you must use the Republish button on the Idea page
- you must not alter the text
- you must attribute the author and Aeon
- you must link to Aeon: http://aeon.co
This licence applies only to the text of our Ideas and does not allow for the republication or reuse of illustrations or photographs.
Full details of the Creative Commons BY-ND licence can be read here.
Please note: this Creative Commons licence does not extend to our Essays.
ESSAYS ARE NOT PUBLISHED UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS AND YOU MAY ONLY REPUBLISH THEM UNDER STRICT CONDITIONS AND BY PRIOR ARRANGEMENT
Essays may only be republished by prior arrangement and on payment of a set fee and within the following guidelines:
- in a non-English language publication in print or digital
- in English in a print publication or a closed digital app
- in English or other language in print or in a closed digital environment for educational purposes such as college teaching packs
- no other digital republication in English will be permitted with the exception of short extracts (up to 250 words) which may be reproduced gratis and without prior arrangement but must include attribution and a link to the original URL
Request to republish (syndicate) Aeon essays that fall within these guidelines may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read the following detailed terms and conditions and ensure they are acceptable to you before sending your request.
Republication of Aeon Essays: further terms and conditions
Formal agreement and notice:
No republication is permitted without a prior arrangement with Aeon, in particular
- A signed agreement must be received by Aeon before the publication date
- Aeon must be notified prior to the republication date
- Aeon reserves the right to refuse permission for the republication of any particular Essay or Essays
- These terms apply only to the text of the Essay and not to any accompanying photograph, illustration or graphic material
Aeon charges a fixed fee of USD$500 for republication in any form of its essays.
- Invoices will be issued in USD only.
- For Australian publishers, GST of 10% will apply.
- These fees are non-negotiable.
The text of the essay must be published exactly as it appears on the Aeon website, with the exception of shortened versions which may only be published by prior agreement and with explicit approval of the final copy by Aeon staff
Full credit for Aeon as the original publisher must be appended to any republished essay. This must take one of the forms below:
- Digital: “This article was originally published in Aeon [live link to http://aeon.co]”
- Print: “This article was originally published in Aeon: http://aeon.co”
Multiple essay republication arrangements:
Requests to republish more than one Aeon essay or to have an ongoing arrangement to republish Aeon essays will be considered and negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
In the event of such an agreement, Aeon reserves the right to revoke the agreement without notice if the agreement is considered by Aeon to be harmful to its interests and reputation. Otherwise the agreement may be terminated with one month’s notice.